October 4, 2017 9:49 am Published byAzesta
Once someone has attended one or a series of my workshops, they often come and ask how on earth I have so many ideas for splitting people into groups. Basically, once you’ve done a few you remember them and you just keep adding to your repertoire! Here are a few to get you started….
1. Create a line up
From that line up you can either just divide the line into the right number of chunks or number the
participants along the line e.g. 1,2,3,1,2,3 for 3 groups! Some of my
favourite line ups include…
Line up according to where in the year you were born (January at this end,December at the other)
- Length of time you’ve been with the company
- Distance you live from this venue
2. Do something physical
- Jump in the air and land with your feet crossed – which foot is in front?
- Clasp your fingers together, which thumb is on top?
- Draw a dog in the air, was it’s tail to the left, to the right or absent?
- Lick an imaginary icecream, did you do it clockwise, anticlockwise or up and down?
3. Use props
- A bag of numbered penguins from the training shop (pick one out of the bag and then ask odds and evens to form groups or 1,2, and 3 together etc.)
- Put giant playing cards on our under chairs, ask all the queens to get together, the hearts etc.
- Give out shapes that fit together and ask people to find the people they can make a square with for example
- Give out cards with words on and ask people to form a group using the words. Could be fruits, veg, films, characters, anything. For pairs could be Fish and Chips etc.
- Different coloured / shaped post its under chairs
4. Polarisation (you can do this multiple times to get more groups) For example…
- Do you scrunch or fold toilet paper?
- Do you prefer snow or sun?
- Dogs or cats?
- Rain or wind?
- How do you put the toilet roll on the holder
5. Clusters Ask people to from clusters according to…
- How many siblings they have
- How many items of jewellery they’re wearing
- The colour of their underwear
I often combine techniques too when one of my weird splits does not give me the of groups that I